Bonjour et bienvenue à la section française du site de l'école primaire Mendlesham!
Hello and welcome to the French section of the Mendlesham Primary School Website!
At Bacton, we are proud to offer French as part of your child's curriculum. Learning by listening to, reading, writing, and speaking French allows children to experience the language and culture of our nearest neighbours.
French is taught in KS2 in accordance with the National Curriculum requirements, with a wide range of topics covered through the RIGOLO programme. Learning a second language from a young age has proven extremely effective. Our aim is that by the time our children leave in Year 6, they will have mastered basic French conversation, and be fully prepared for their language learning in secondary school.
We learn to:
- listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others; seek clarification and help
- speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases
- present ideas and information orally to a range of audiences
- read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language
- broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
- write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, to express ideas clearly
- describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing
- understand basic grammar appropriate to the language being studied, including (where relevant): feminine, masculine and neuter forms and the conjugation of high-frequency verbs; key features and patterns of the language; how to apply these, for instance, to build sentences; and how these differ from or are similar to English