Mendlesham Primary School aims to meet our obligations under the Public Sector Equality Duty. This requires us to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- Advance equality of opportunity between different groups
- Foster good relations between different groups
As set out in the DfE guidance on the Equality Act, our school aims to advance equality of opportunity by:
Removing or minimising disadvantages suffered by people which are connected to a particular characteristic they have
Taking steps to meet the particular needs of people who have a particular characteristic
Encouraging people who have a particular characteristic to participate fully in any activities
Fostering an equal opportunities approach to staff recruitment by ensuring information about the protected characteristics of applicants are not shared. Assistance is offered and provided to those with disabilities to enable them to attend interviews and, where staff are recruited, reasonable adjustments are made to facilitate equality and success.
Our Equality Objectives reflect the Trust and the school’s priorities, our values and draw upon available data and other evidence. Careful analysis of this is undertaken in order to ensure that we are working to achieve improved outcomes for different groups.
- Objective 1 To increase awareness and understanding of equality and diversity through training (for staff, Local Boards and Trustees)
- Objective 2 To promote cultural knowledge, development and understanding through curricular and co-curricular experiences and opportunities
- Objective 3 To eradicate prejudice and increase the understanding and practice of equality through culture, ethos, teaching and the work of children
- Objective 4 To prioritise and tackle any prejudice-related bullying in relation to all the protected characteristics listed in the Equality Act 2010 (for staff and children)
- Objective 5 To narrow the gap in progress between specific groups of children